Saturday 3 December 2011

The Van Tanncred Sword [Warhammer] Steady Passage


Memoirs of Anya Eisenjaeger
~Aubentag 27th Kaldezeit 2522~


Time has passed as quickly as the countryside has. Withered reeds and dead brush passing us by, succeeded by frozen fields, clouded marsh, muddy villages and shadowy forrest. The cold water fog that lifts from the deep dark of the rippling Reik surface is like smoke. Crows croak at our slow steady passage. 
It’s liberating to see new things; to be out of the city. It’s been a long time since I was that little golden child sat in her fathers lap watching in wonder as we travelled on one of his trading ships. Those few adventures were over too quickly.
Pieter doesn’t reveal anything of himself. He is like a closed man cloaked in silence, even when he speaks. Danger like the charge before a storm surrounds him.
Stefan continues to present himself for a beating from Pieter every day. He's stoically stupid but there is hope for him yet. I guess I am being a little unfair. It's actually admirable that a man with no obvious weapon skills has taken a leap to learn on the run in front of strangers, in fact more remarkable that he came at all. He remains professional and ungrumbling as usual. I wonder what his weak spot is? Maybe when you make your peace with Morr little else phases you.


Grunnd is interesting. I'm not well acquainted with dwarven kind so to be in close quarters with one is an education. He is fastidious about his appearance and his equipment. Today I watched as he took a wickedly sharp dagger from his boot to shave his head and chin free of hair; odd as the few dwarves I have seen usually have a full beard and head of long hair. Every evening he carefully sharpens his blade; oils his warhammer and its grip; and checks his mail shirt before repairing any missing links. I can understand now why he is so insistent in teaching Stefan how to care for his weapon; I imagine he must have been horrified by the state of it!

Danielle is quickly growing to be like a sister to me. She honestly seems to like me, care for me dare I say? She seems to enjoy the companionship my company offers. She is also a great one for the things she reveals from the bags she packed for her and Stefan her master. I am very grateful for the treats that make eating gruel almost stomach-able. I still don’t know where we are going but hopefully we’ll dock soon. I would like to see what the towns are like here in the Wastelands. 
~ A~

[Previous Entry - fish out of water]
[Next Entry - inn and ale]
[First entry - Ranald's luck]

No comments:

Post a Comment