Tuesday 10 January 2012

The Van Tanncred Sword [Warhammer] Mäuschen


Behzaltag 5th Ulriczeit 2522

One day in this city and so much to tell. 
Altdorf isn’t so much different from Marienburg. Unsurprisingly it is crammed with the hustle and bustle of visitors from far and wide. The stench of so much life in the narrow stony streets does make even a Marienburger’s eyes water. Muck and beggars as much as any city I suppose. It does have these tall spires which it is famous for but not the sea and the tides to wash the filth out twice a day. I am not fond of the sea, for my own reasons, but I do actually miss it. Comes from being a child of the coast. A starfish child as my father sometimes called me as I clung to him as a little one, all arms and legs. 
When we arrived this morning the market was in full sail and the first request when we got out of the cart was to stretch our legs and stock up on supplies and other items. Verstohlen has gone to the Temple of Sigmar for his own duties but at least left us with some crowns and instruction to come here to the Blind Beggar Inn once finished. 
In our trip for provisions Hans was kind enough to purchase a chain shirt on my behalf. We are not too different in build and I would have been sure to raise some eyebrows- a young woman purchasing armour for herself. While this was taking place Grunnd poked me in the side and winked, gesturing me to follow him.
Around the corner he admitted that though in Verstohlen’s presence he did things by the book. He had no problem if I needed to do any wealth liberation while in the city. His moral code is not so narrow. Within minutes we found ourselves in a washhouse doing our own errands. By the time we left I had myself britches, shirts and other small clothing items of the common variety, some sheeting too and some soap as it happened to be laying around and could come in useful. Danielle and Hans had barely noticed us gone when we got back. It was heartening to be back to the old tricks. Grunnd and I exchanged a quick grin before composing ourselves back to nonchalance. 
I made sure to ask Hans to purchase some more ammunition for my pistol while I perused some of the stalls to find what else I needed. Namely some warm gloves, a belt, and a warmer coat. The merchants took on a different tone when they heard my voice. Seems we Marienburgers don’t hold much respect among the Empire’s merchants, no doubt it is jealousy of our free status and wealth. In saying that they treated me well enough as I was the one with the purse. 
When admiring some of the exotic caged birds for sale by an Araby spice dealer a large warm hand pulled me round. It was Albrecht. One of my father’s fellow traders and close guild friends. I was shocked to see someone I knew but I shouldn’t have been as we’re not too far away by boat from home. I did my best to look pleased to see him. Pleased to see another of my father’s fat old friends with their overindulgent frames and patronising manners. The silly little girl smiled stiffly.
He wanted to know why I was in Altdorf. Why I wasn’t with my father and why I wouldn’t go back home. Not that it is any of his business. It seemed to be the most important thing in the world that I return, as if he should care. It was not until later that Grunnd hit on the true possible reasoning- Albrecht would be the hero for bringing home the wayward Eisenjaeger daughter to Johann, my father. I guess maybe it must be an embarrassment, an affront to father that I ran from the marriage he had arranged. That he could not control the women of his house. Maybe my father has even been at the guild asking the others to keep watch for my whereabouts? Why had I not thought on this? I have been busy lamenting my haste and short sightedness in running from my home and my future but now that I could be returned to the gilded cage so quickly, I am not so sure I wish my wings clipped. I may be under the authority of Verstohlen, and I may be closer to death now than ever but I am at least my own person. I may be faced by soul torturing choices but at least I feel alive. Not trapped in the drudgery of the home to dress like a lady proper. I do miss Andreas though and Beatrix with her sweet laughter and heart touching affection. Not that I do not miss my older siblings too but I have not seen Annette since she married. Her husband Meinhard took her away to his home in freezing cold Erengrad, though I see him of course as he returns to Marienburg with his trade. He is a good soul but did he really have to take her so far away from her family? Bernhard is always busy consorting with our father in their dealings, I mean business. I miss Bernhard my brother but not Bernhard the merchant. He is another creature altogether.
When Albrecht told me to wait where I was I followed him a little to see where he was limping off to. Gout, a rich mans mark. I watched as he called the attention of what looked like more of a hired thug than a guard and that was enough for me. I wasn’t being taken back kicking and screaming by a brute. I retraced my steps quickly through the crowd. Scanning faces to find the others. Thankfully they were not far away. I explained to Grunnd what had happened, possibly not very well as my heart was racing and my hands shaking. Flustered girl. I really need to get my nerves under better control. I can shoot a man at close range but not tell one of my father’s friends where to go? Ridiculous.
He shook his head and sighed deeply. He told me that there are two kinds of people in this world - predators and prey. What am I? I said that as much as I wished I were a predator, I know for now I am prey, a mouse. He reminded me of his advice from the banks of the river Reik. To stick the blade in their neck and twist, they die faster. A stranger perhaps but I could not do that to someone I grew up knowing.
Danielle, Hans and I went back to the Inn. Grunnd however took my description of Albrecht and went off looking for him. I am glad he did not find him for as much as I do not like the man, I do not wish his bearded face smashed to so much ground meat by that hammer. 
A few hours ago Danielle and I worked some magic and transformed me from merchant’s daughter to working boy. I wished so hard to be able to wash myself in some warm water and that soap but the guise needed to be convincing. The long hair I once prided myself on was hacked away from waist to shoulder length, all grubby and rat tailed. I tied it back with some leather thong at least all the grease kept it where it should be. We bound my female curves down with torn lengths of the re-appropriated bed sheets. On went my new clothing. By luck they fitted but so much rougher than the finery of my brothers. They will do the job. 
I was shocked when Danielle asked me how much of a man I wanted to be? I was doubly shocked as she shoved her hand down my britches with padding she had fashioned into my new ‘manhood’. ‘Not too big to be a joke and not too small to be a pity.’ 
I am unsure I wished to go this far in the pretense but she has convinced me for one night. I felt exposed as I came back down to the bar but was relieved to see Pieter was not there. No one lifted a brow at my change in person, even the others. I was relieved and glad. 
I am now Andreas, also known as Mäuschen ~ Little Mouse ~. 
I do not think I shall use my family name anymore. It is far too well known among the merchant class and could pose me a threat of more unwanted attention. I had not thought on it but a family member of the Eisenjaeger’s could fetch a pretty penny in ransom if I fell into the wrong hands. Would my father pay it? I believe he would. 
I am sitting in the sparse sleeping quarters of one of the rooms upstairs. I am sure the others will be asleep now but not Grunnd. He is sat on one of the two chairs this room possesses. The other is opposite him, jammed against the door. He says he will not sleep this night for he believes Albrecht will have men come to take me away. I hope not. I hope it is just the imagination of a dwarf too long on the hard road but I guess you cannot be too careful. The others are all in the next room bar Verstohlen who is still at the Temple with his brethren.
Hopefully I will awake on the morrow. We have passage booked on the Blue Bird to Talabheim to chase the iron-forged ‘end of the world’.
~ A ~
[Previous entry - musings]
[Next entry - Sigmar's hammer]
[First entry - Ranald's luck]

No comments:

Post a Comment