Saturday 14 January 2012

The Van Tanncred Sword [Warhammer] What It Takes


Konistag 6th Ulriczeit 2522

I needed to know where I stood. My new status as the Empire’s most hunted left me vulnerable to all. 
I went up on deck and found Grunnd taking some air, leaning against the side of the boat. The sun was not long for the day as it was already sliding into the trees. Darkness like spilt ink was already coloring the landscape, blotting out the details. I quickly scanned around to make sure we would not be overheard.
“On the water again, eh? I for one will not miss the cart.” I leaned on the rail to look down at  black water. Grunnd huffed a side smile in reply. 
“Grunnd...” I sighed, swallowed hard and took my chance. I needed to know. The rest followed fast.
“I will not go back. You are right. I made my decision back at the Inn and it is the path I choose now. I would not blame you if the 1000 crowns changed your feelings towards me.” I held my hand to stop any interruptions and and closed my eyes against any tears. Deep breath.
“You do not know me from Morr, Grunnd. You have shown me kindness but you are a mortal and I am now a very wealthy ‘commodity’.” Now I looked him full in the eye and through clenched teeth continued, “I would not blame anyone for being swayed by that. Not you, not Verstohlen, not them.” I jerked my head intimating the others. “But know this...” at this I pulled my blade out, lifting it to press it against my throat for only him to see my conviction. “I will not go down whole for I would rather die than go back. I am no longer an Eisenjaeger. I am not Anya. This is my choice.”
Grunnd had stood watching me silently, letting me speak. As quickly as I drew my dagger he gently but firmly put his hand over the blade and lowered it, shaking his head, expression grim.
"Never draw steel mouse, unless you intend to bloody the blade. Too many fools in this world too keen to get their blades out. Few are willing to deal with the consequences." 
His expression softened as he regarded me. "It’s not fair mouse. You being forced into this life but it’s not too bad a life. Aye, ours is a dangerous ...deadly path even, but we’re free are we not? You and I. I'd take freedom over a life of servitude any day. Why do you think a dwarf of the Grey Mountains plys his trade in death on the streets of the Empire and not in his homelands fighting the greenskins? Nah, we're not so different you and I mouse. We both have a home we'd rather not return to."
A gentle smile crossed his face with a thought. "A thousand crowns, eh? What would old Grunnd do with a thousand crowns I wonder?” Another laugh. He looked up at the sky and back again.
“I'd have a stinking hangover for a start! And we both know how i feel about them. I could buy a nice shiny new hammer? But what hammer is better than Storm Breaker? No mouse, you have nothing to fear from me on that part. A king’s ransom in gold means little to me as long as I have enough coin to get a room, eat a hot meal of an evening and payment for services I'm happy just being on the road doing steady honest...just work for an honest pay."
“The others I can’t speak for - the longshanks, he doesn’t strike me as the material type; the wench, she has a good heart; and the boy? Well him I’m undecided about. Of all of us he might have the most reason to turn you in, but again, I don’t know if he is quick enough to realize it." With that he reached over and gave my hand a squeeze. My eyes were watering a little with relief.
"Don’t worry mouse. I'll keep you safe as best I can and soon lass, maybe old Grunnd will need protecting, and I'd gladly have no other watching my back than you." He gave me a wink and looked back out across the water again.
That was all I needed to know and more. A hot tear rolled down my cheek and my heart leapt with happiness. Very quickly I lifted his tricorne and kissed his bare head with a whispered “Thank you.” before striding away back to the shared guest sleeping quarters. I didn’t look back to see his reaction. 
Danielle is already sleeping. Her face shows dark marks below her dark lashes, tired. She still wears the coat I gave to aid in her disguising as me. No wonder she sleeps after the night of interrupted rest and midnight happenings we’ve had. Not that I am not tired also. 
Stefan is reading his holy book by a dim candle stub. Hans too is asleep. He is laying full out with his legs crossed at the ankles and arms stretched back with his hands cradling his head. He looks as if there isn’t a care in the world. I wonder what a hunting boy dreams about? Chasing down prey and poachers I suppose. 
I think I will bed down too now. Before Grunnd retires for the day.

~ Mäuschen ~

[Previous entry - Precious Commodity]
[Next entry - Blind Beggar Inn]
[First entry - Ranald's Luck]


No comments:

Post a Comment